23 Feb Curry Quinoa Bowl
Looking for a nourishing yet comforting bowl to satisfy you at lunch or dinner? Try this curry quinoa bowl. It’s amazing how a few spices can get a complex flavour & get the taste buds going. The meat is optional if you want to make it vegetarian!
So what’s so great about this meal, making it one I’d recommend to support your mood? Read on my friends…
mood + food //
This curry quinoa bowl (be patient… recipe is just a couple short paragraphs away!) follows the Macronutrient Mood Therapy protocol by offering a balance of healthy protein, carbs & fat. It’s chock full of colourful veggies to boot as well, which offer myriad vitamins & minerals.
It doesn’t take a psychologist, dietician or nutritionist to tell you what you eat impacts how you feel. You know that! However, as a therapist, I specialize in Macronutrient Mood Therapy, which uses diet as a therapeutic means to support & improve mood & mental health by:
- Sustaining neurotransmitter production (chemicals that impact mood) through protein & complex carb intake.
- Reducing inflammation & oxidative stress by incorporating plant foods.
- Improving brain function by incorporating healthy fats.
- Stabilizing hormones by incorporating lean protein & healthy fats.
- Reducing effects of stress-related eating (think junk food binging caused by a stressful workday) by stabilizing dietary intake with supportive foods, helping to eliminate the intake of poor nutrition to mediate stressful feelings.
If you want to learn more, e-mail email@example.com to set up a FREE 15 minute phone or FaceTime consultation.
the recipe // curry quinoa bowl
Okay, you waited patiently, & here it is! This recipe makes 4 servings.
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 5 stalks kale, chopped & massaged
- 1/3 cup purple onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 cup peas
- hummus, topping (homemade — super easy with a food processor — or store bought)
- meat ball, topping (optional — the quinoa offers protein in this meal)
- Cook approximately 3 cups of cooked quinoa (during Sunday meal prep, I make a large batch for various salads & meals & baking.
- In a pan or cast iron skillet, add a small amount of oil. Cook the onions medium high heat until just about translucent. Add the kale, sautéing with the onions for approximately 4 mins.
- In a large bowl, mix the quinoa with the olive oil & spices until combined. Then fold in the carrot, corn, & peas.
- When serving, top with hummus & organic grass-fed beef meatball (optional).