05 Jan Goal-Digging 2.0 // Foods
goal-digging goal–dig·ing // \ˈgōl \ˈdi-giŋ\: the act of digging deep within & creating goals from the inside out to transform mind & body
You know the clichéd goal-setting saying: don’t bite off more than you can chew. It’s so true when it comes to setting goals. When making food related goals for the new year, it’s important that you make them realistic & attainable. Set yourself up for success (easier said than done, right?). Don’t worry, we’ve got some tips to get you started on the right foot!
Setting “SMART” healthy eating goals is a great way to help you feel your best. SMART stands for goals that are: specific, measurable, achievable, realistic & time-sensitive. Setting SMART goals can also help you achieve bigger, more longer-term goals you want to achieve over time. It’s hard to change your eating habits over night, even with the best of intentions. So go easy on yourself & don’t dwell on slip-ups (tomorrow’s a new day to forgive, forget, & get right back on track!).
goal-digging WHyyc style // whole foods
Here’s a list of whole foods goals you may want to try this year:
- Eat more mindfully: Sit down for one meal a day where you can take the time to chew each bite (savour that delicious meal) & put down utensils between each bite.
- There’s an app for that! That’s right, you can use apps like Eat, Drink, & Be Mindful or Eating Mindfully or Mindful Bite to assist you in your mindful eating goal.
- Eat in more: Limit the amount of snacks and meals you buy on the go.
- Try meal-prepping on Sunday afternoons for the work week ahead. There’s an app for that! Check out Food Planner & MealBoard. We also offer meal prep courses if you’re looking for a crash course in meal prep or want someone to do it for you!
- Learn more: Enrol in 3 cooking classes this year, buy & try 3+ new healthy cookbooks.
- We find learning more about foods, & cooking outside of our comfort zone gets us more excited about cooking (we too get in food ruts, albeit healthy!).
- Start your days off right: Eat breakfast every day.
- Meal prepping the night before or making a huge batch of oats on Sunday to last your through to the end of the workweek can help you maintain this breakfast-eating goal (check out our yummy oat recipes here!).
- Smoothies are a quick & easy way to have a protein, fat, & complex carb packed breakfast to fire you up for the day! (check out our basics for healthy smoothie making here).
- Shop smart: Shop the perimeter of the grocery store.
- The fresh produce, meat & seafood, & dairy is primarily located around the perimeter of the market. Set a goal and concentrate your shopping around the perimeter. Fill your cart with fresh, whole foods that are nutrient dense! Steer clear of the aisles where most of the pre-packaged and processed foods live.
- Eat local: Support you local farmers’ market.
- Shopping at your local market is an easy way to support your community and stock the fridge with locally grown healthful foods. Are you unfamiliar with the Calgary market scene? Some of our faves are the Calgary Farmers’ Market, Market on Macleod, Crossroads Market & the Millarville Farmers’ Market. Did you know, Calgary Co-op carries several locally produced items from Calgary & area suppliers. Don’t miss out on fresh, affordable & locally grown whole foods!
We’re here for you. Let us know if you are looking for some goal-setting help to make 2015 the year of the healthiest YOU yet!