23 Jan Smoothie Bowls // The Savoury Edition
If you’re looking for a way to get more good-for-you ingredients into your system, the smoothie bowl is the answer. After all, we did promise you, our loyal readers, a savoury smoothie bowl that would satisfy any hungry & thirsty whole food lover!
We wanted to give you a flavour combo that would work as a breakfast bowl & one that could be enjoyed with lunch or dinner. In this bowl, there’s an essence of cinnamon, ginger & cloves, combined with winter vegetables to make for a rich & velvety smoothie bowl (wipe that drool & stay tuned my friend, the recipe is en route!).
Have you ever made a vegetable-based smoothie & the flavours were overly earthy? (we love us some colourful & nutrient-dense whole foods, but a little sweetness never hurts). This desire led us to the kitchen (one of our fave spots). We whipped out the Vitamix & started piling veg of all colours on the counter (yes, we got a little carried away). Since its still winter & relatively fresh outside, we honed in on one of our absolute favourite winter vegetables: squash! So, in our effort to deviate from the traditional fruit-based smoothie bowl, we began roasting butternut squash. The goal was to create a smoothie that could be sipped chilled throughout the day (handy cure for when hungriness strikes) or heated for a winter warm up.
Don’t worry, squash isn’t the only ingredient in this smoothie bowl (although that would appeal to us). To balance this bowl, we added some of nature’s caramel: DATES! Medjool dates, to be specific. We love to use this sweet fruit in smoothies as they’re nutrient dense & satisfy your sweet tooth while providing you with energy (what’s not to love?).
Unfamiliar with dates? Let us brief you.
nutrition profile //
- Fibre rich
- Source of potassium, magnesium & copper
- Source vitamin B-6, niacin & pantothenic
buying tip //
You can find Medjool dates at Costco & other markets including: Safeway, Co-op, Superstore & Save On Foods. Don’t want too many dates? (you can never have too many dates, if you know what we mean), you can buy any quantity at Bulk Barn.
how to store //
Fresh dates should be consumed soon after they’re purchased, or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Dried dates can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
to use //
Be sure to remove the pit from the date before use. Alternatively, you can dates with the pit removed.
the sweet butternut squash smoothie bowl
- 1½ cups roasted squash
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 4 medjool dates
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 Nutmeg
- Garnish with cacao nibs (optional)
- 1 scoop Vega One Vanilla Chai protein (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375C.
- Cut squash in half, place on lined baking sheet, cut side down.
- Bake for 30 mins, turn over & bake for additional 15 mins.
- Remove from oven. Scoop out seeds from squash with a spoon. Measure & set aside.
- For the smoothie: Add all smoothie ingredients into a high speed blender & blend on high until smooth, adjusting the spices as needed. Serve immediately & enjoy!
- Option: add Vega protein powder to your smoothie bowl to make for a perfect pre/post workout thirst quencher.